Houttuynia cordata tea (鱼腥草茶, Yú Xīng Cǎo Chá) is made from the dried leaves and stems of Houttuynia cordata.
Houttuynia cordata is a kind of traditional Chinese medicine, which is included in <Chinese Pharmacopoeia>. It can not only be used as a medicine, but also as food. In southwest China, Houttuynia cordata is called Zhe Er Gen and is widely eaten.
Houttuynia cordata is a herbaceous plant and native to Southeast Asia. Its whole plant can be used as a medicine. Houttuynia cordata is usually picked in summer and autumn.
Table of Contents
- How to Make Houttuynia Cordata Tea
- Benefits of Houttuynia Cordata Tea
- Side Effects of Houttuynia Cordata Tea
How to Make Houttuynia Cordata Tea
- The fresh Houttuynia cordata can be directly brewed with boiling water, just steeping it for 10 minutes. Dried Houttuynia cordata only needs to steep for 3-5 minutes.
- Or mash the houttuynia cordata, boil it in water for a few minutes, and then filter out the tea liquid.
Houttuynia cordata tea has a fishy smell, which can’t be accepted by most people. It is best to add some sugar or honey.
Benefits of Houttuynia Cordata Tea
The benefits of Houttuynia cordata tea are recorded in many traditional Chinese medicine books.
- Clear heat
- Treat faucitis
- Help digestion
- Reduce swelling
- Treat lung diseases
- Boost immune system
The diuretic effect of Houttuynia cordata is very significant. Studies have shown that the diuretic effect of Houttuynia cordata is related to its organic matter and rich potassium, which can help the body excrete uric acid, thereby achieving the effect of relieving the symptoms of gout.
Houttuynia cordata is a natural antibiotic that can inhibit hemolytic streptococcus, staphylococcus aureus, influenza bacillus, pneumococcus, etc.
In life, many people will get pharyngitis. For this disease, whether it is acute pharyngitis or chronic pharyngitis, drinking Houttuynia cordata tea can have a good therapeutic effect.
Treat Lung Diseases
People with poor lung function are prone to lung infection, leading to upper respiratory tract infection and even some lung diseases. Houttuynia cordata has a good effect of alleviating lung inflammation and improving respiratory discomfort.
Boost Immune System
Pharmacological research shows that Houttuynia cordata has the ability to enhance the phagocytosis of granulocyte, lymphocyte, and monocyte, so it can enhance the ability of the body to resist foreign bacteria, so as to boost the immunity of the body.
Side Effects of Houttuynia Cordata Tea
- Some people may have allergic reactions when drinking Houttuynia cordata tea, such as drug dermatitis, peripheral neuritis, allergic purpura, and so on.
- Pregnant women are not suitable for drinking Houttuynia cordata tea.
- As Houttuynia cordata tea has a cold nature, people who are weak and have a cold, such as cold hands and feet, should not drink it for a long time.