Huangshan Maofeng tea (黄山毛峰, Huáng Shān Máo Fēng) is a kind of Chinese green tea. It is native to Huang Shan (Yellow Mountain) in the Huang Shan City of Anhui Province. It is one of the top 10 famous Chinese tea.
The fresh leaves of Huangshan Maofeng tea are picked from the peak of Huang Shan; the finished tea leaves are covered with white hairs and their shape is pointed, so it is named Huangshan Maofeng. Mao means “hair” and Feng means “peak”.
Unlike other green teas of which the leaves are green, the leaves of Huangshan Maofeng tea are yellow-green or golden-green as well as the tea liquid. The tea tree of Huangshan Maofeng tea is a special variety, called “Huangshan species”, which is native to Huang Shan City.
The Japanese Zen master Rongxi said, “Huangshan tea is the elixir of health preservation and has the wonderful effect of prolonging life.”
Table of Contents
- History of Huangshan Maofeng Tea
- Growth Environment of Huangshan Maofeng Tea
- Characteristics of Huangshan Maofeng Tea
- Benefits of Huangshan Maofeng Tea
- How to Identify High-Quality Huangshan Maofeng Tea
History of Huangshan Maofeng Tea
The teas produced in Huang Shan are called Huangshan tea. Huangshan Maofeng tea is one of Huangshan teas and is the most famous tea of them.
According to historical records, Huangshan tea originated in the Song Dynasty (960-1279) and developed in the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644).
In the Ming Dynasty, Huangshan tea was not only greatly improved in processing technology, but also increased in variety. At that time, Huangshan tea had unique characteristics and a good reputation, which is the predecessor of Huangshan Maofeng tea.
Around 1875, in order to cater to the market demand, a tea merchant personally led some people to Huang Shan to pick tea, and then developed new teas. After carefully producing, he created a kind of high-quality tea with excellent flavor.
Due to the finished tea covered with a layer of white hairs and the tip of the tea leaves like a mountain peak, he named it “Mao Feng”. Later, it was named “Huangshan Maofeng” according to its origin place.
After 1875, Huangshan Maofeng tea entered the Shanghai market and was welcomed by consumers. Immediately after that, Huangshan Maofeng tea began to be exported abroad.
Growth Environment of Huangshan Maofeng Tea
The tea trees of Huangshan Maofeng tea grow in the Huang Shan, which is a national 5A scenic spot and is one of the top 10 famous Chinese mountains.
Huang Shan is located in the subtropical monsoon climate zone, with heavy clouds, high humidity, and abundant precipitation, which forms a special climate in the mountains. There is no hot in summer and less severe cold in winter.
There are various and complex geological landforms, species, and mineral deposits in this area. In such natural conditions, it is very suitable for the growth of tea trees, so the tea leaves are fat, fresh, and nutritional.
Characteristics of Huangshan Maofeng Tea
The shape of the tea is slightly curled, like a bird’s tongue. Its color is yellow-green and with white hairs.
Huangshan Maofeng tea is classified into six grades. High-quality Huangshan Maofeng tea is made from 100% of buds or one bud with one leaf, and other Huangshan Maofeng tea is made from one bud with two or three leaves.
“Shaped like bird’s tongue” and ” covered with white hairs” are two obvious characteristics of Huangshan Maofeng tea.
Benefits of Huangshan Maofeng Tea
- Refresh and eliminate fatigue: caffeine in tea stimulates the central nervous system to refresh the brain.
- Diuretic effect: caffeine and theophylline in tea have a diuretic effect and it is used to treat edema and hygroma.
- Inhibitory effect of atherosclerosis: tea polyphenols and vitamin C in tea have the effect of promoting blood circulation and removing blood stasis to prevent arteriosclerosis, so the incidence of hypertension and coronary heart disease in tea drinkers is low.
- Antibacterial effect: tea polyphenols and tannic acid in tea act on bacteria, coagulate bacterial proteins, and kill bacteria.
- Weight loss: caffeine, inositol, folic acid, pantothenic acid, and aromatic substances in tea can regulate fat metabolism.
- Inhibitory effect of cancer cells: flavonoids in tea have an effect of anti-cancer.
- Anti-aging: tea polyphenols have a strong antioxidant effect and are a scavenger of free radicals in the human body.
How to Identify High-Quality Huangshan Maofeng Tea
- Appearance: the shape of Huangshan Maofeng tea is thin and flat; the color is yellow-green and covered with white hairs; the buds are nestled in the leaves, like a bird’s tongue.
- Fragrance: grasp a handful of dried high-quality Huangshan Maofeng tea close to the nose and smell it. Its fragrant is fresh and like orchid or chestnut.
- Color of tea liquid: the tea liquid of high-quality Huangshan Maofeng tea is yellow-green, clear, and bright.
- Taste: its taste is delicious and not bitter, with a sweet aftertaste.